Saturday, August 31, 2013

The Worst



                Goddammit.  I’m worn out.  I oughtta work on writing a book.  I barely have time to write a blog once every 2 or 3 weeks though, so I dunno how I think I’m gonna write a book.  Plus, my book idea is depressing and potentially psychologically damaging for me to write.  I dunno why that’s a problem, but it seems like it could be.  Christ, I’ve done plenty of psychological damage to myself, not to mention what I’ve inflicted upon others.  Might as well write a goddam book.  What’s the worst that could happen?
                Speaking of worst that could happen, when I’m driving with my phone in my hand I always feel like chucking it out the goddam window.  Same with my wallet.  I’ve had false teeth since I was 18 and I can’t tell you how many times I’d be riding in the back of a pickup truck and wind up being kinda half-ass ready to chuck em out onto the fuckin highway.  Now, none of these things is the WORST THING THAT COULD HAPPEN, but they’d certainly be regrettable.  And not necessarily in the order in which I mentioned them, either.  In fact, I’d say teeth would suck the worst, then wallet, then phone.  But yeah, this cumpulsion is similar to the one that you might feel when you’re standing at the mouth of a canyon, admiring nature, and get a weird itch to jump.  That would be closer to the worst thing that could happen.  Still, there are worse things that I won’t endeavor to explore right this second.  Burning alive, being drawn and quartered, sticking pencils in your nose and doing a swan dive down a staircase.  Etcetera, etcetera.
                This is reminding me of fake teeth situations.  Like once when I pulled them out for the hell of it in front of my friends’ 4 year old daughter.  Her jaw dropped.  Then she frowned and started tugging at her teeth, to no avail. 
                Or the time when my buddy who was a genius at fucking with passed out people took my teeth while I was in a stupor.  This was back when I had first gotten the things.  I woke up and realized that I had lost my goddam teeth and went into a panic.  Especially at that age, cos not only would I be missing the function of having front teeth, but I’d be the only guy around who didn’t have any fuckin teeth.  Anyway, that was funny and haha now don’t fuckin do it anymore.  Except that there was another buddy of ours around who was wasn't exactly the sharpest bulb in the turnip patch who’d try to take my goddam teeth out all the time after that.  You know what it’s like to wake up with some filthy moron sticking his fingers in your fuckin mouth?  It makes you punch that person.
                Oh yeah, and back then we were 19 or so and I was the designated alcohol buyer.  I’d take out my fake teeth and make sure that the person working behind the counter saw that I didn’t have any goddam teeth.  I hated doing it cos it was embarrassing but it worked better than a fake I.D.
                Then there was the time that I was staying with some friends at their farmhouse in Eastern Tennessee.  They didn’t have indoor plumbing.  No big deal.  I mean, plumbing sure is nice but we didn’t have too many problems hauling in drinking water and using an outhouse and showering elsewhere.  Anyway, my friend who I was staying with was a total fuckin stoner.  Me?  I’ve always been a lightweight with that stuff.  So the whole time I was visiting I was baked outta my goddam mind.
                One day I did a few bong hits and decided to brush my teeth out by my pickup truck.  To this day I’m a bit self-concious about removing my teeth in front of people.  Back then I was a bit moreso.  So I took my fake teeth out and set them on the tailgate, planning to brush them when I was done brushing my real teeth.  So I’m pacing around like a zombie, listening to the birds and looking at the sky and all that other stoner hippy shit and when I’m done brushing my teeth, I rinse my mouth out with a bottle of water and rinse off my toothbrush.  Then I go back to my truck and shut the tailgate, even though we’re out in the middle of fuckin nowhere and there’s no reason to shut the tailgate.
                I start walking back to the house  and realize that I’m not wearing my denture.  My stoned brain quickly realizes what probably happened.  I go into a medium panic.  JESUS FUCKIN CHRIST NO FUCKIN WAY! I think to myself.  I jog back to my truck and open the tailgate.  Yep.  There they were.  My fake teeth, all smashed to smithereens.   They looked brutal and gory like, well, like a bunch of smashed teeth in the back of a beat up Toyota.  I didn’t have to feel like the odd man out this time though.  For one thing, I was 30 and enough of my peers were missing a few teeth at that point.  Plus, I was in Cocke County, Tennessee.  Being toothless, I fit right in out there.  So I made an appointment with the dentist and drank some moonshine. 
                When in Rome…

No comments: